Please join us for our Sunday organ recital series.
The Miller-Scott Organ has been installed and dedicated on October 5, 2018, in a recital given by then Organist and Director of Music Daniel Hyde. In this article, Erik Wm. Suter provides a brief history of organs at Saint Thomas Church since 1913. He explains how the Miller-Scott Organ fits into this tradition and the ways in which it fulfills the complex needs of both performers and parishioners. Mr. Suter delves into the technical and aesthetic considerations of both the organ itself and how it interacts with the rest of the building, both visually and aurally.
In the spring of 1996 the gallery instrument was dedicated as the Loening-Hancock Organ. The firm of Taylor & Boody of Staunton, Virginia built the instrument which contains twenty-one stops over two manuals and a pedal. The instrument is inspired by the tradition of organ building which was active in the Netherlands and North Germany in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. A third manual (Brustwerk) and several prepared-for stops were added in 2016. Stop and key action are mechanical and the temperament is Kellner.
The Martha J. Dodge Continuo Organ was built and initiated in December, 2001. This superb portative instrument, consisting of 4 ranks and pipes, was built by the firm of Taylor & Boody.
The Hauptwerk Console
A three-manual Hauptwerk digital console serves as a practice resource. It is located at Saint Thomas Choir School, and was built by Ortloff Organ Co. of Brookline, Mass. From June 2016 through September 2018, this console was located at Saint Thomas Church as a temporary instrument between the removal of the Arents Organ and the completion of the Miller-Scott Organ.